Saturday, September 8, 2007

Cancer Scare

I'm actually quite reluctant to write about this, but my daughter had a cancer scare last week. She utlimately had to have her right ovary removed because it had been completely destroyed by a teratoma. Her surgeon also found three masses on her left ovary. After a week, we still haven't gotten an official pathology report, though the surgeon has been in contact and has seen the report. She said there is "nothing to worry about." Still I want something in writing that says my daughter doesn't have cancer.

I've missed over a week of classes because I was sticking close to Dallas to be with my daughter. We spent most of today together and had a good time. My daughter and I have as good of a relationship as possible--every other weekend, holidays, daily phone conversations, etc. But my being so far away really makes things difficult sometimes.

Insomnia is hitting me again. I got up this morning at 4:30 and it's 10 p.m., and I'm still awake. I took an Ambien a couple of hours ago, and nothing.

I've been working/obsessing over a poem. I have the end, I have a beginning, but I can't get the middle. Why am I soft in the middle when the rest of my life is so hard? (Paul Simon)

3 Comments:

Blogger SarahJane said...

Ash -
Sorry to hear about your daughter. I would definitely worry about it, too, even with a piece of paper in my hand. Isn't she hardly a teenager? My goodness, hope she's taking it okay. best, sarah

September 10, 2007 at 12:18 PM  
Blogger Ash said...

Yeah, she just turned 14.

September 10, 2007 at 1:27 PM  
Blogger SarahJane said...

Hope she's less scared than you must have been.

September 10, 2007 at 2:04 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home