Saturday, August 25, 2007

Insomnia Diary

I wish this post was about Hicok's book and not my own gripping insomnia. I fell asleep around midnight and woke up at 3:40. I've been doing this a lot lately and no amount of reading or TV or exercise seems to help. In the past I've been struck by boughts of insomnia, and none has been worse than last year's when I didn't sleep for about four days straight. I suppose this insomnia might not be too unusual aside from the fact that I'm an early riser. I'm usually up around 7 or 8. I used to love sleeping in, but now I get up and get moving--probably because I'm getting older. As my father has gotten older he's gotten out of bed earlier and earlier. My mother says that's because he goes to sleep in his recliner about 5:30 in the evening, but I don't take naps like a lot of college students. When I was younger I didn't understand insomnia, or rather I didn't understand what it meant. I just assumed that insomniacs just weren't tired. Now I know that insomniacs feel the effects of not sleeping and it's misery.

1 Comments:

Blogger Rachel Mallino said...

Ash, I really understand your pain. I've had major sleeping problems now for about 2 years. I even take pills and still, I just don't sleep and when I do, I sleep poorly and have nightmares. I wish I had some good advise for you, but I'm useless. =)

August 25, 2007 at 7:17 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home